[Zope3-dev] Re: date parsing: explicit is better

Shane Hathaway shane@zope.com
Fri, 22 Nov 2002 13:13:50 -0500

Stephan Richter wrote:
> On Friday 22 November 2002 12:41, Shane Hathaway wrote:
>
>>The LocaleService might *use* your MultipleLocaleService, but it doesn't
>>have to.  To start out, it could blindly assume a hybrid of US and
>>European conventions, later becoming smarter.  This makes writing the
>>basic locale service a lot easier.
>

> Right, I understand your assertion here. However, I think writing a simple
> LocaleService is not that bad, but if we make it too simple we have to
> refactor later a lot. Furthermore, I do not think it gives us any advantage
> to implement specific format parsers at this time. I think this could really
> backfire and people start writing all their custom parsers and formatters and
> at the end we have a big mess.

That wouldn't be a bad thing, actually, as long as everyone implements
the same interface.  The real risk is that applications embed their own
parsing and formatting, without any common interface.  I'm proposing a
10-minute minimalist locale service, to be replaced later on.

AFAIK no one intends to actually do this work anytime soon, however, so
there's a good chance this whole conversation is moot. :-)

Shane