[Zope3-dev] Locale and Object Formatting (numbers and datetimes)

Shane Hathaway shane@zope.com
Mon, 25 Nov 2002 09:30:28 -0500

Stephan Richter wrote:
> On Saturday 23 November 2002 19:59, Shane Hathaway wrote:
>
>>Okay, so let's say your interfaces describe the "locale" service.  There
>>still needs to be some kind of service that lets applications be
>>ignorant of all date and currency formatting, unicode encoding, etc.
>>You service doesn't quite reach that goal.  For example, your service
>>includes a method getDateTimeFormat(), and the application is expected
>>to include all the logic of formatting a datetime accordingly.  But
>>applications should not have to work so hard.  Some service needs a
>>formatDateTime() method, which does all the work and already knows what
>>locale to use.
>

> Hi Shane,
>
> I do not claim the interfaces are complete. If you think these "convenience"
> methods are useful, then feel free to add them to the interfaces. No
> problemo. All I really did was to copy the ICU API in a pythonic way. I am
> glad someone else is looking over these Interfaces to check their usability.
> ;-)

That's not really what I meant.  The methods I'm talking about are not
convenience methods; they are methods of an entirely different
interface.  Your interfaces are designed for applications centered
around i18n (like KBabel), whose primary purpose is to work with
multiple languages and locales.  My interface is designed for most other
applications.

Thus the only thing to talk about is really the name of the services.
Isn't "I18N" a better name for your service?

Shane