[Zope3-dev] RFC: ViewDirectoryHierarchyReorganization

Paul Everitt paul@eurozope.org
Mon, 25 Nov 2002 21:28:41 +0100

On lundi, nov 25, 2002, at 20:38 Europe/Paris, Shane Hathaway wrote:

> Martijn Faassen wrote:
>> Hi there,
>> In order to make life easier for web developers getting into Zope 3,
>> I've made a proposal to drastically review the way views (in
>> particular
>> browser views) are currently organized physically. The full story
>> is here:
>> http://dev.zope.org/Wikis/DevSite/Projects/ComponentArchitecture/
>> ViewDirectoryHierarchyReorganization
>> Please comment!
>
> I like this proposal.  But are you referring to web developers
> maintaining their own sites, or are you referring to web developers
> maintaining Zope 3 source code?  If the former, you don't want web
> developers to modify the Zope 3 source to maintain their own sites.
> If the latter, they probably need to get to know Zope 3 pretty
> intimately anyway.
>
> I'll assume you're speaking of the former case (web developers
> maintaining their own sites).  In that case, I think we want to give
> web developers a "sandbox" of some sort to do their work, apart from
> the Zope 3 source.  The sandbox might take the form of a web UI, or it
> might take the form of a directory on the filesystem which they are
> allowed to modify.
>
> We expect in the future that Python developers will "check out" and
> "check in" code to ZODB.  So here's an idea: perhaps web developers
> could do the same thing, but with templates and graphics rather than
> code.  In fact, read-only interface documentation might be included as
> part of the checkout.

This is a nice idea for other reasons as well.  In trying to create a
useful interface, you're often confronted with details resulting from a
shared environment and stateless browsing.  For instance, Wiki
safetybelts are one attempt to solve the problem of lost updates.

However, if you're primarily working in your own workspace, then that
problem is solved, by deferring it to a later gesture to sync up.

I think this helps achieve Jeffrey's mantra of "no surprises, no
alarms" that can occur when two people work on the same resources.

Plus it helps me with my hidden agenda for trees. :^)

--Paul