[Zope3-dev] Re: [ZODB-Dev] ZODB4 project plan

Guido van Rossum guido@python.org
Tue, 26 Nov 2002 15:22:35 -0500

> I've just posted a very rough ZODB4 project plan in the Wiki:
>     http://www.zope.org/Wikis/ZODB/ZODB4
>
> I've delayed posting this draft because I wanted to post a better
> draft.  I've stopped delaying, because I probably won't get much time
> to make it better until I start working on the individual tasks.  But
> I'll be happy to answer questions where it is unclear and add items
> that people think are important.

An additional issue that came up in a meeting here at PythonLabs is
the fate of "versions".  Basically, we recommend against using them
with Zope.  So they are only there for backwards compatibility or
perhaps for people using ZODB outside Zope.  Removing versions will
remove complexity to the code all over the place: the version argument
to some APIs can be removed, the ZEO cache implementation and wire
protocol become simpler, and so on.

Is there anyone who would regret losing versions in ZODB4?