[Zope3-dev] Re: [ZODB-Dev] ZODB4 project plan

Steve Alexander steve@cat-box.net
Wed, 27 Nov 2002 14:35:41 +0000

Jeremy Hylton wrote:

> I've just posted a very rough ZODB4 project plan in the Wiki:
>     http://www.zope.org/Wikis/ZODB/ZODB4
>
> I've delayed posting this draft because I wanted to post a better
> draft.  I've stopped delaying, because I probably won't get much time
> to make it better until I start working on the individual tasks.  But
> I'll be happy to answer questions where it is unclear and add items
> that people think are important.

One of the things some Zope 3 folks want to do around the release of
Zope 3 alpha 1 is to start using Zope 3 for some real tasks -- eating
our own dogfood.

Will there be any incompatible changes to the ZODB brought about by
tasks on the project plan? (By incompatible, I mean ones which would
make a previously valid FileStorage instance become invald with respect
to the new ZODB code.)

I'd like there to be a milestone in the ZODB 4 development process after
which incompatible changes are still expected, but the change will be
accompanied by a script to convert an existing storage to the new format.

I'd like this milestone to occur before the end of the year.

--
Steve Alexander