[Zope3-dev] Re: [ZODB-Dev] ZODB4 project plan

Tres Seaver tseaver@zope.com
27 Nov 2002 10:07:03 -0500

On Tue, 2002-11-26 at 16:34, Neil Schemenauer wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 26, 2002 at 03:22:35PM -0500, Guido van Rossum wrote:
> > Is there anyone who would regret losing versions in ZODB4?
>
> Not us.  We've never used them and I have a hard time imagining what
> they would be good for.

Although versions can't play well with ZCatalog, and hence with
"content", they work nicely for making "on the side" changes to
"software" (e.g., to the main template for the site).  I would be averse
to killing them off before seeing just how much "through-the-web"
software / configuration happens in Zope3, and whether alternative
mechanisms (filesystem synchronization, for instance) can address the
same use cases with less grief.

Tres.