[Zope3-dev] Proposal for file-system synchronization in Zope3

Andy McKay andy@agmweb.ca
Tue, 1 Oct 2002 09:33:16 -0700

> I'm not sure what you're point is. If you want to make changes in multiple
> places, you have to merge. If you only make them in one, you never have to
merge.
> Adding the flexibility of making changes through the web doesn't really
> change this.

If I can be sure that I can't make changes from Zope it means that there is
one less source of changes to worry about. In some ways it would be nice to
have the option of a lock on the object within the zmi, maybe a webdav-lock.
This is a minor point, I'm just trying to make this easier for developers.

> Blech. I don't think it fits all that well into the existing
> export/import, but I'd be happy to punt on that if we ever do add
> this to Zope 2.

Ok, if we do add it to Zope 2 maybe we can take a quick look at it then.

> Well, we can provide some formats for some common types, but the whole
> point is to make sure that this is readily extensible.

Yep, but I'm also trying to squeeze convenience into it ;) If we have
support for standard zope objects we could handle the common uses with the
minimum of fuss.

Looks like we are agreeing on most of this, so I will be quiet now. Thank
you for listening, it took me a few emails to get my points correctly
articulated (both in my head and on email).
--
  Andy McKay
  www.agmweb.ca