[Zope3-dev] Proposal for file-system synchronization in Zope3

Shane Hathaway shane@zope.com
Thu, 03 Oct 2002 09:14:12 -0400

Chris Withers wrote:
> Shane Hathaway wrote:
>
>> FWIW, the interfaces in AdaptableStorage are even more ambitious than
>> everything mentioned so far.  They try to allow you to serialize any
>> kind of object in any way you like.  Once you have a complete,
>> extensible serialization/deserialization layer, you can write code
>> that stores arbitrary objects anywhere you like (ZODB, filesystem,
>> products, relational database, LDAP, XML database, etc.) and does with
>> them what you like (synchronize, export, import, version, merge,
>> compare, etc.)
>

> As Shane already knows, I'm extremely interested in this ;-)
>
>> The only thing that's still bugging me is the way AdaptableStorage
>> handles OIDs.  It's too complex.  If I can work through that, we may
>> have the "common API" you're talking about.
>

> Hwo does it currently handle them? What makes you feel this is too complex?

The way AdaptableStorage currently deals with OIDs is convoluted.
Explaining it would be hard.  The problem itself isn't complex, but
AdaptableStorage's solution is.  It's often harder to write a simple
solution than a complicated one.

>> But again, AdaptableStorage is more ambitious than what Jim is working
>> on.  While it's clear that Jim's ideas will work, it's not clear that
>> mine will.  I think Jim's API fulfills its purpose well.
>

> I wanna make your ideas work, 'cos they solve a much wider range of
> problems in what seems to me to be a much more graceful way.
>
> How do you see this panning out in Zope 3 land?

Hopefully, it will make it easy to write serialization components and
the components will be useful enough that many kinds of applications can
use them.

Shane