[Zope3-dev] UI effort at Sprintathon

Wed, 23 Oct 2002 20:08:43 -0700

On a tangent, but... this thread bring up something else I've thought about
Zope UIs beyond simple HTML: it sure would be nice to have a way to do
long-running transactions for fat clients that may perform a single
transaction across several, spaced-out requests (say, via XML-RPC).  I
suppose one way to do this is ZODB versions, but I'm curious as to other
ideas for accomplishing this (perhaps with a higher level component)?

For example, a simple HTML form with several fields could have a get/set
method associated with that field, upon a change event for a field 'foo',
the browser JavaScript would trigger XML-RPC call to server to call the
setFoo() method, and so on, and finally do a permanent commit with some
possible before-commit method call to the item.  This would mean that
unfinished work that isn't fully committed is both stateful and recoverable,
I think?

Sean