[Zope3-dev] Re: [Zope3-checkins] CVS: Zope3/lib/python/Zope/App/OFS/Services/SmtpService/Views - __init__.py:1.1 configure.zcml:1.1

Martijn Faassen faassen@vet.uu.nl
Mon, 28 Oct 2002 17:29:34 +0100

Guido van Rossum wrote:
> >     SR> I really, really think an SMTP server is important, if Zope
> >     SR> wants to grow 10x...also think of Mailman 3... We need to
> >     SR> get away of just thinking about HTTP and friends...
>
> Um, what would you do with an SMTP server integrated in Zope?  Does
> Zope really have to become a Polish army knife?

It would be nice to be able to send email to objects in some applications
though. (object publishing to email)

Of course there's a bloat risk, but Zope 2 is already a multiple protocol
server (http, XML-RPC, Web DAV, FTP), and that's proven very useful.

It'd be nice if we could offload this kind of stuff to frameworks like
twisted that try to be very good at exactly this area, though.
But that'd only take off if it were very easy to set up such a combination.

Regards,

Martijn