[Zope3-dev] Zope 3 Alpha 1 in 2002

Jim Fulton jim@zope.com
Thu, 31 Oct 2002 09:38:30 -0500

Steve Alexander wrote:
> maxm wrote:
>
>> Jim Fulton wrote:
>>
>> > I'm created the road map in CVS in doc/ROADMAP.txt:
>> >

>> http://cvs.zope.org/Zope3/doc/ROADMAP.txt?rev=HEAD&content-type=text/vnd.viewcvs-markup
>>

>>         - Object Hub, which tracks object locations, allowing
>>           location-independent object references
>>
>>         - Indexing service, supporting pluggable indexes and searching
>>
>> It might be that it is allready thought out that way, but I cannot see
>> it from the roadmap. But shouldn't there be a sort of "meta data
>> register" ?
>>
>> If we have an objecthub, and we have an indexing service, and at some
>> time we will get a relationship manager. Both the indexing service and
>> the relationship manager will need to store metadata for objects.
>>
>> When I say metadata I really mean something like indexes in the
>> current catalog. Dublin Core has nothing to do with this.
>

> Actually, I think you meant to say "I really mean something like
> metadata in the current ZCatalog".
>
> Yes, there will be such a thing, either as a stand-alone Service, and/or
> as part of the Indexing service.

I think before we assume this, someone should put some effort into describing the
rational for this. The meta-data in ZCatalog is a historical accident.  It's
real benefit is as an optimzation for search results, but I think it's worth
considering how important this optimization *really* is, before inventing yet-another
service to support it.