[Zope3-dev] Zope 3 Tests GPF'ing on Windows

Tim Peters tim@zope.com
Thu, 31 Oct 2002 11:09:53 -0500

[Chris Withers]
> Something in the process of building Zope 3 and running its tests
> is causing Python to GPF.
> This is the reason why there haven't been any Windows tests
> results for the last few days.
> Does anyone know why this might be?

Which version of Python, and which Windows compiler?

Regardless of compiler or OS, there's a known GPF-causing problem using
Python 2.2 or 2.2.1 with Zope C types based on ExtensionClass.  Because it
comes down to reading memory from a junk address, it's impossible to guess
whether a given installation will see this problem, and it can (and does)
vary "at random" on a single platform.  This problem was fixed in Python
2.2.2, so if you're using 2.2 or 2.2.1, upgrade to 2.2.2.

I just did cvs up and built Zope3 under MSVC 6 on Win2K using CVS Python.
This didn't work, because cPersistence.c wouldn't compile.  That was a
shallow problem, and I checked in a fix.  Then Zope3 built fine, and the
tests all ran to completion without problem:

Ran 2168 tests in 125.481s

OK