[Zope3-dev] Second ZOPE 3 mini- NEWSLETTER (and kinda large glossary)

Phillip J. Eby pje@telecommunity.com
Thu, 31 Oct 2002 11:28:12 -0500

At 10:15 AM 10/31/02 -0500, Gary Poster wrote:

>   [NEW]
>   Placeful: An adjective describing an object that resides in the *ZODB*
>   (and so is persistent) and is potentially pertinent only to the ZODB
>   branch (or "folder" and all children) in which it resides.  Similar
>   to standard programming "local" concept of variables.  Opposite of
>   *Placeless*.
>
>   [NEW]
>   Placeless: An adjective describing an object that resides outside
>   of the typically addressed Zope database, and is available to all
>   objects irresepective of their location in the ZODB (or what "folder"
>   they reside in).  Usually not persistent, but instantiated in memory
>   on each program start.  Somewhat similar to standard programming
>   "global" concept of variables.  Opposite of *Placeful*.

Hm.  I don't think that these terms have anything to do with ZODB, since
they can also be applied to non-Persistent objects.  All that placefulness
requires is that it be "local" rather than "global" in scope of the
application.

At least, if *I* understand it correctly, which isn't certain.  ;)  But I'd
like it to be true, since I expect to have quite a lot of "placeful" things
in Zope 3 that *aren't* persistent and won't be going anywhere near ZODB.