[Zope3-dev] Proposal for file-system synchronization in Zope3

R. David Murray bitz@bitdance.com
Sun, 29 Sep 2002 12:34:20 -0400 (EDT)

On Sun, 29 Sep 2002, Andy McKay wrote:
> In that case I'd have to comment on the proposal and get a few other people
> who I know are concerned to comment on it as well. I'm concerned that whilst
> this is a good proposal its yet another implementation of serving stuff from
> the file system that we are getting.

It isn't.

Read the propsal.  The stuff isn't *served* from the file system, it's
served from the ZODB.  The point of Jim's system is to be able to
*move* stuff between the ZODB and a lossless file system representation,
with the ability to *synchronize* the two.  This allows, for example,
for CVS maintenance of objects in a ZODB, whether you make the changes
TTW or on the filesystem.

What Jim is developing is *very* different from any of the
serve-from-filesystem products, and does not obviate the need for them.
CVSFile and friends might want to look at Jim's code, but otherwise
I don't think there's any overlap.

--RDM