[Zope3-dev] Re: Schemas, Fields and Fieldsets

Paul Everitt paul@eurozope.org
Wed, 02 Apr 2003 09:04:53 +0200

Steve Alexander wrote:
[snip]
> I was talking with Marius over lunch the other day, and we found that in
> both our Zope 3 projects, we have many requirements for automatically
> generated and validated forms that are not handled by the current Zope 3
> implementations.
>
> Our own implementations are somewhat crufty -- the emphasis being on
> getting the job done, rather than making something suitable for general
> use as part of a form/widget framework.
>
> So, we agreed to spend some time writing down all of our requirements
> for autogenerated forms, based on our recent experience and projected
> furutre requirements. When we've got our set of requirements, we can
> implement something that will meet these needs and offer it for
> inclusion in Zope 3.

I hope we can give some attention to existing standards.  In this case,
XForms is a possibility.  Cocoon is already using it for server-side
rendering:

   http://xml.apache.org/cocoon/userdocs/concepts/xmlform.html
   http://www.xml.com/pub/a/ws/2003/01/29/cocoon-xforms.html
   http://www.w3.org/MarkUp/Forms/

While it might not be as good as something created by Zope 3, it's
likely to be 1,000% better specified and communicated.  And of course,
the work done by customers for form definitions won't be locked into
using Zope.

--Paul