[Zope3-dev] Documentation (was: Re: reST, mechamisms?)

Marcus J. Ertl marcus.ertl@larp-welt.de
Thu, 03 Apr 2003 16:27:16 +0200

On Thu, 3 Apr 2003 06:37:49 -0500, Stephan Richter wrote:

Hello Stephan,

First: I doesn't want to offend someone! My english is often someway
humbling, and ths way, something will be formulated in a short way...
sorry about that!

>I have never claimed that Wikis will be the final documentation form; but for
>now it is the best collaboration tool we have.

As collaboration tool, it is great, that's right!

>Well, common and join the Z3 documentation team!!! Complaining does not create
>documentation, but actual contributions are needed. I have outlined many
>tasks to work on, which range in all sorts of difficulty levels.

Sorry, but my english is very humbling, and I don't think, that this is
the right place to start a german documentation.

But you are very right! If I'm unhappy with the documentation, I should
do a better one!

I would be glade to help in getting more documentation, but I don't
know how! I realy love Zope3, and think there is great work done by all
the people, whom build Zope3!

>I think we started to develop a fair amount of Howto's with the recipes of the
>Cookbook. Also, Paul's original Zopetop Primer was in Howto style. Now that I
>think about it, the Programmer's Tutorial and the "hello" package are also in
>Howto form.

The Programmer's Tutorialis a great place to start. That's right. But
after that, it goes hard for me...

>But don't forget: We are still pre-beta...and for pre-beta we are doing pretty
>good in my opinion.

Yes, but I hope of a beta soon! ;o)

>I think this is often clearly marked. I do not think that any documents
>outside the Proposals section are Science Fiction; and if they are, they
>clearly marked. Status Batches do not exist without a  reason.

Yes, but often I don't know what's the state of this special part of
Zope! Many things are changing very fast at the moment!

>When did I or anyone else do this? The only thing that I am blocking is the
>introduction of new tools for reasons I outlined before.
> [...]
>- Wikis for most of the documentation; collaboration is far more important
>than versioning.
>- CVS STX files for some API-related docs.
>- reST .hlp files for the OnlineHelp living in the source code.

In my own opinion, it doesn't matter which format a docu has, if it's
possible for me to read it. reSt is great, but LaTeX, docbook, even
word would do! And if someone decides that all docu should be in format
of docbook, or something else, I would glade to help to convert.

Bye
   Marcus
--
 Das LARP-Portal im Internet: