[Zope3-dev] RE: Z3 documentation (again)

Garrett Smith garrett@mojave-corp.com
Thu, 3 Apr 2003 14:25:14 -0600

> Really? I think the Programmer's does a really good job as an
introduction. I=20
> think you intended to say that there is not enough documentation for
the Site=20
> Developer; however, Zope 3 does not aim at this group at this point
and tools=20
> for Site development are just being developed as we speak.

When I say "not usable" I just mean that it's hard to get info at times.
For newcomers (er...the casually interested) the barrier to getting
started is high. But with a little work, I think this can improve
dramatically.

> There is simply not enough manpower behind it to formalize it at this=20
> point... this is Open Source.
=20
This sounds like the main issue. In projects of this size, there are
typically one to two people dedicated to user docs (i.e. not project
oriented working docs). There are usually well defined interfaces
between developers and tech writers to manage quality and keep things up
to date.

It doesn't sound like anyone's disagreeing here :-) You're right...the
bottom line is only so much can be done when resources are limited.

I'm going to buckle down and try to learn this thing as quickly as I
can. During this time, I can certainly contribute to the online help. At
some point though, perhaps we can make a dent in some of these usability
issues.

Garrett Smith
Mojave Corporation