[Zope3-dev] Status of reST

Jeffrey P Shell jeffrey@cuemedia.com
Wed, 9 Apr 2003 11:11:52 -0600

I would like to, but time is the bastard.  There are some important
issues that need clearing first anyways:

Docutils Dependency: do we keep a copy of docutils in our repository
and update as needed?  There's still no real release process beyond
nightly 'builds' for docutils (I think the last release is the very
antiquated 0.2).  It's probably better *not* to put docutils in the
source tree, but there are still some API change possibilities.  I
doubt we'll do any *heavily* customized parsers or writers, so this
isn't a huge issue.

reST sandbox works: There are a couple of useful tools in the reST
"sandbox" contributed by various people using docutils.  There are a
couple that may be of interest to us, particularly Bill Bumgarner's
'DocArticle' writer, which generates HTML that doesn't depend on the
docutils stylesheet.  The docutils stylesheet is great and yields
beautiful standalone documents, but it can create problems when being
used to generate HTML that needs to integrate with other HTML.  There
is also a clever Wiki parser that finds potential wiki names during
reST's processing/parsing time, which can sidestep potential
double-processing (a situation that can occur in regular ZWiki).  There
are some other useful works in the sandbox as well, along with some
stuff I've already written to return the body of a document using
reST's DOM-ish API's, allowing the content to be used in any content
system.  My concerns here are:

   - A lot of useful work has already been done by other people
     that we could use.
   - It's all published under different open source licenses.
   - Maintaining our own copies could be time consuming, but
     too many dependencies are annoying for end users.

I'm not sure what to do about these two issues (which is all basically
one big dependency issue).  I think reST has more than enough benefits
to offer us, but there are still a couple of hurdles to deal with
first. :\