[Zope3-dev] Re: Number of languages in Zope 3

Evan Simpson evan@4-am.com
Wed, 09 Apr 2003 18:06:21 -0500

Jim Penny wrote:
> The reason is that ZPT is
> based on XML and XML attributes may be arbitrarily re-ordered by parsers.

Ah, I misunderstood -- I agree that this is not explained well by the
current documentation.  There's also the XML constraint against multiple
attributes with the same name, as a design influence.

> It would be awfully nice if content and contents; and
> attribute and attributes were alternative spellings of the same thing.
[...]
> So how about allowing both here and context in both ZPT and
> pythonscripts?

Both of these were discussed, and the consensus was that TAL and TALES
should promote the Python virtue of "There should be one -- and
preferably only one -- obvious way to accomplish each task."  A few
synonyms in a rather sparse namespace may seem like a small and pleasant
convenience (it does to *me*, actually), but I suspect that it would not
truly promote usability or flatten the learning curve.

As for the ability to use 'here' in Scripts -- it exists!  Admittedly,
the Bindings tab is the musty, cobweb-draped attic filled with old bank
statements and rotting clothing of the House of Scripts, but it *is*
there :-)

Cheers,

Evan @ 4-am