[Zope3-dev] i18n, unicode, and the underline

Stephan Richter stephan.richter@tufts.edu
Fri, 11 Apr 2003 09:26:10 -0400

On Thursday 10 April 2003 17:58, Barry Warsaw wrote:
> _(u'Name').  We have to change _() though.

Barry is completely right with this! After a long discussion we decided to
have all human interface strings as unicode. Also The _() is needed for
translations; if Barry figures out how to do it without this, fine, if not
they need to stay too.

If Barry and I would have enough authority as I18n shepherds, I would veto
this proposal (but I think Jim agrees with us, so he could make a Papal's
Edict here too ;-).

BTW, for each feature you pay a price of complexity and for I18n it is this,
which is mild in my opinion. Star Office for example creates for each
translatable string an array!

Regards,
Stephan
--