[Zope3-dev] i18n, unicode, and the underline

Stephan Richter stephan.richter@tufts.edu
Fri, 11 Apr 2003 10:00:18 -0400

On Friday 11 April 2003 09:42, Fred L. Drake, Jr. wrote:
> Is there an objection to having the implementation of _() call
> unicode(s, 'ascii') when the argument is an 8-bit string?  The result
> is still Unicode for all intents and purposes, but there's less
> decoration in the source; the _() is sufficient to mark the text as
> translatable.

Well, but I think it would mask in important fact and awareness that all human
strings must be unicode. In a previous mail I mentioned that accepting
_('..') but not '...' might be quiet confusing.

> I can understand vetoing auto-converting the arguments to field
> constructors.  Are you also vetoing having _() convert ASCII in 8-bit
> strings to Unicode?  If so, I'd like to hear the rationale for that.

Yes, the conversion should not be done out of the user's sight. Sometimes you
might want to add strings, and then the user thinks ok, so since I declared
_('...'), I can simply add '...'. And all of the mess starts. We discussed
all that in great length last year in February and March and really do not
want to get back to the discussion (we were really glad to have solved all
the confusion).

Regards,
Stephan
--