[Zope3-dev] implementing title_or_id

Steve Alexander steve@cat-box.net
Sat, 12 Apr 2003 11:41:32 +0200

> Since this problem is really meant to target web designers, I
> constrained the use to page templates. Under this scenario, my thinking
> is that 'view' is more appropriate than 'adapter', per MVC convention.

I see where you're coming from.

You can often understand complex systems in terms of "nested" or
"layered" MVC patterns.
It all depends on who or what is viewing the View and controlling the
Controller.
At the front-end, zope 3 views provide Views and Controllers for the web
browser.
A little deeper, zope 3 adapters provide Views and Controllers for other
pieces of code, including zope3 views.

>>This spelling of "getting a view on an object" is deprecated:
>>
>> >   2 - tal:content="views/context_utils/title_or_id"
>>
>>Instead, use this spelling:
>>
>> >   2 - tal:content="context/@@/context_utils/title_or_id"
>

> Just curious...how is deprecation being handled in Zope 3 at this stage?

Someone says "don't do that", and then later on someone removes the
code. And hopefully updates the documentation.

> I would have expected this to have been pulled altogether, given the
> early stage of development. If there's a fair amount of deprecation, is
> there a good way to spot/avoid it?

It should be pulled. It's just a case of finding someone with time to do
it, and update existing uses of it and documentation.

> Is there more of an "is a" way to differentiate the use of views and
> adapters?

I'm not sure what you mean. A view depends on a request. That is to say,
  when we choose what view to use for something, we take the type of the
request into account. The component that implements the view can use the
request to do its work.

> E.g. does use of 'request' imply a UI (or externally
> interfacing) component and therefore a view?

Yes.

> I'm compiling all of these answer and will convene at some point with
> Stephan to figure out how best to publish them.

Great!

--
Steve Alexander