[Zope3-dev] i18n, unicode, and the underline

Martijn Faassen faassen@vet.uu.nl
Sun, 13 Apr 2003 15:17:50 +0200

Guido van Rossum wrote:
> The only time you get in trouble is when a non-Unicode string contains
> non-ASCII characters.

And as I noted elsewhere, especially in systems not built for unicode,
this can be a significant amount of trouble..

As long as the application gives an error very early when you do that, it's
probably okay, though.

I think custom-built forms right now (not those using schema/forms) would
deliver 8 bit strings to the application logic. We need to make sure that
people are discouraged from doing so, as it can lead to confusing bugs as
soon as these strings leak into application code -- they need to be
converted to unicode as soon as they enter the application. Likewise
for relational database adapters; I wonder what they do currently.. If
they pass latin-1 strings directly into the rest of Zope 3 then that's
wrong, for instance.

Regards,

Martijn