[Zope3-dev] i18n, unicode, and the underline

Shane Hathaway shane@zope.com
Mon, 14 Apr 2003 11:09:14 -0400

Guido van Rossum wrote:
>>Have you considered the possibility of adding a __future__ statement
>>to make Python create Unicode objects insteads of strings by
>>default?  (But for all I know, that could already be done or
>>rejected.  Feel free to say so. :-) )
>
> python -U does this.  It even passes most unit tests. :-)

Whoa, cool.  Unfortunately, "python -h" does not seem to reveal that option.

Then may I make the next (probably obvious) suggestion: let's require
that Zope 3 be run with python -U, and fix what's broken with *that*,
rather than remain in Unicode transition limbo.  ZODB and the TCP
servers probably need some corrections (since they are at the I/O
layer), but other than that, I bet we're already in pretty good shape to
go full Unicode.

Shane