[Zope3-dev] i18n, unicode, and the underline

Guido van Rossum guido@python.org
Mon, 14 Apr 2003 11:26:35 -0400

> > python -U does this.  It even passes most unit tests. :-)
>
> Whoa, cool.  Unfortunately, "python -h" does not seem to reveal that option.

That's intentional.  There are some problems with it and we were tired
of dealing with the newbie bugreports, so we undocumented it. :-)

> Then may I make the next (probably obvious) suggestion: let's require
> that Zope 3 be run with python -U, and fix what's broken with *that*,
> rather than remain in Unicode transition limbo.  ZODB and the TCP
> servers probably need some corrections (since they are at the I/O
> layer), but other than that, I bet we're already in pretty good shape to
> go full Unicode.

I'll look into this.  First problem I ran into:

[guido@odiug zope3]$ python2.2 -U test.py
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "test.py", line 143, in ?
    import re