[Zope3-dev] super binary mode was i18n, unicode, and the underline

Tim Hoffman THoffman@dpc.wa.gov.au
15 Apr 2003 11:05:04 +0800

> This should be done, but there's no time for Python 2.3.  I'd
> appreciate help in writing a PEP.  The new bytes datatype would be
> entirely separate from strings; there'd have to be a new "super binary
> mode" for files to return bytes instead of strings from read().

This would strike me as a much better way of implementing the return
values from the mmap calls. read(), read_byte() etc are more than likely
to return bytes/byte arrays rather than ascii strings. (Well at least
my experience on Solaris using mmap suggests this is so)

Rgds

Tim