[Zope3-dev] Discussion: Configuration vs. Configuration

Ken Manheimer klm@zope.com
Tue, 22 Apr 2003 17:40:46 -0400 (EDT)

I also think it would be really helpful to distinguish these two kinds
of configuration activities.  I think it would be artificial to cast
either as being something other than configuration, though - i think
it makes sense to be very clear that they're fundamentally different
kinds of configuration.  Specifically...

On Tue, 22 Apr 2003, Guido van Rossum wrote:

> One is what *I* would call configuration: for example, the
> ErrorLogging service has a "control panel" where you can configure how
> many exceptions to keep and several other options.  The explanatory
> text at the top of the page even uses the word "configure".  Many
> other objects also have such configurations, e.g. caches, database
> adapters, and the text index.

I see this as configuring the "intrinsic" or "autonous" settings.

> The other form of configuration is of course the "configuration
> manager".  E.g. /++etc++site/default/ConfigurationManager/.  What is
> configured here is the "external usage" of a service, utility, cache,
> db connection, and so on.  Exactly what the configuration parameters
> are here depends on what kind of object, but at minimum there's the
> "activation state" (Active, Registered or Unregistered) and often a
> permission; sometimes also a name and/or an interface, and/or a
> component path.

I see this as configuring coordination (or collaboration) between
objects.  I wouldn't use "collaboration" as the official term, though,
because that overlaps too much with the domain of high-level
applications where zope is likely to be used.

So: i like the sound of "configuring intrinsics" and "configuring
coordination".  *If they're accurate*, i think the distinction would
help people understand what's going on.  I know the distinction is
already helping me put in perspective what i've been hearing about the
various configuration activities.  I have to qualify my opinions,
though, because i still haven't really gotten started on getting up to
speed on zope3.  My perspective is all based on the characterizations
i'm reading here, and i may be inferring too much!

--
Ken
klm@zope.com