[Zope3-dev] Discussion: Configuration vs. Configuration

Chris Withers chrisw@nipltd.com
Wed, 23 Apr 2003 09:06:35 +0100

Guido van Rossum wrote:
> For services and other things that live in ++etc++site, there are two
> different concepts that are currently both called "configuration".

We were chatting about this at the UK sprint ;-)

> One is what *I* would call configuration: for example, the
> ErrorLogging service has a "control panel" where you can configure how
> many exceptions to keep and several other options.  The explanatory
> text at the top of the page even uses the word "configure".  Many
> other objects also have such configurations, e.g. caches, database
> adapters, and the text index.

Yep, the general consensus was that this should be called configuration...

> The other form of configuration is of course the "configuration
> manager".  E.g. /++etc++site/default/ConfigurationManager/.  What is
> configured here is the "external usage" of a service, utility, cache,
> db connection, and so on.  Exactly what the configuration parameters
> are here depends on what kind of object, but at minimum there's the
> "activation state" (Active, Registered or Unregistered) and often a
> permission; sometimes also a name and/or an interface, and/or a
> component path.

...but no consensus on this, other than it shouldn't be called configuration.
'wiring' and 'plumbing' were both suggested...

cheers,

Chris