[Zope3-dev] Discussion: Configuration vs. Configuration

seb bacon seb@jamkit.com
23 Apr 2003 09:34:52 +0100

On Tue, 2003-04-22 at 18:18, Guido van Rossum wrote:
> For services and other things that live in ++etc++site, there are two
> different concepts that are currently both called "configuration".

We talked about this at the UK sprint; I had intended to work on this aspect of things, but ran out of time.

In a straw poll, everyone agreed with your position.  Jim agreed in
principle to changing the name of "configuration managers" to something
else.

Configuration in the Configuration Manager sense is all about hooking up
different interfaces in different ways.  Therefore, we came up with the
following suggestions:

 - Wiring
 - Plumbing
 - Connecting

The final idea was preferred because we get to call zcml "Zope
Connection Markup Language"

We also discussed a nice icon to represent active and inactive
connections.  The preferred notation was something along the lines of
the 'lollipop' interface notation in UML:

Inactive:  -  o--
Active:    -o--

We also discussed variations on wires, pipes and light switches.

Seb