[Zope3-dev] ZopePublication performs auth outside transaction

Jeremy Hylton jeremy@zope.com
Wed, 23 Apr 2003 11:55:48 -0400

On Wed, 23 Apr 2003 11:45:41 -0400
 "Phillip J. Eby" <pje@telecommunity.com> wrote:
> At 09:08 AM 4/23/03 +0100, Chris Withers wrote:
> >Phillip J. Eby wrote:
> >>I also wonder if maybe there should be a placeful
> Transaction service replacing the "get_transaction()"
> hac^H^Hook.  :)
> >
> >Surely you mean placeless?
>
> Absolutely not.  What if I want to write a thread-free
> reactor-based Zope app using Twisted?  Associating
> transactions with threads is a hack.

Associating transactions with threads isn't a hack.  It's a
policy, and one a reasonable one for lots of applications.

There's a single-threaded transaction manager in the
transaction package, too.  We just don't have a mechanism
to allow an application to change the policy.  Suggestions
on an API are welcome.  The API should not be tied to Zope,
since it's in the transaction package.

Jeremy