[Zope3-dev] menu item ordering

Steve Alexander steve@cat-box.net
Thu, 24 Apr 2003 18:00:51 +0200

>>- Is it important to define some sort of standard/recommendation for
>>ordering so that users can rely on some UI patterns?
>

> I'd say so, yes.

I discussed this with someone (can't recall who...) at the Bristol sprint.

Here's a scheme to consider:

   Associate each menu and menu item with certain
   keywords in the style of the dublin-core "subject" field.

   Separately, define an ordering of these keywords, perhaps
   associated with a particular menu.

   Order menu items in a menu according the keywords of the
   items, and the ordering of the keywords.

So, we might define for the zmi_tabs menu the ordering:

   content
   edit
   testing
   other
   permissions
   introspection

The "folder contents" view of a folder would have the keywords "content".

The "edit" view of a ZPT would have the keywords "edit".

Hmmm... perhaps only one keyword per view is needed?

--
Steve Alexander