[Zope3-dev] zwiki: performance of findChildren()

Steve Alexander steve@cat-box.net
Fri, 25 Apr 2003 19:17:53 +0200

> Which leads to a suggestion (mayby Gary can refute it): why not use
> OIDs as hubids?  Is this because OIDs are fairly long (e.g. 8-byte
> strings)?  Or is it because you don't know a new object's OID until
> after the transaction that creates it is committed?

The ObjectHub does not require that the objects it maintains hubIds for
  are stored in the ZODB or any particular persistence mechanism. All it
requires is that the objects may be traversed to; that is, they have a
physical path.

I could write an IContainer implementation that has contents that come
from a relational database, dynamically, each time they are requested,
based on the name requested from the IContainer. These objects have no
oid, and are not Persistent.

The ZODB is not intrinsic to Zope 3.

It is extremely useful and convenient, and the default content types,
and implementations of local services, and so on, use the ZODB's
Persistence framework. Although, the zodb package depends on the
persistence package, not vice versa.

--
Steve Alexander