[Zope3-dev] Proposal: Vocabulary Fields

Garrett Smith garrett@mojave-corp.com
Tue, 29 Apr 2003 08:54:14 -0500

It would be helpful to see some use cases -- it's not clear to me from
the proposal what this would mean for developers, at a higher level
anyway.

I do think this is an important feature, though. E.g. it would be nice
to specify that a field is uses a "USPS Zip Code Vocabulary" and have
forms automatically use an appropriate widget for editing it, e.g

   Zip code:  [         ] - [     ]

and also support validation.

Some other useful vocabularies (just examples):

 - Global postal code - lookup process to take a country code as
argument

 - HubId - widget might provide a modal object selector, sim. to date
selector

 - Object Path - similar to HubId, but might be limited to object names
in a container

 - SQL - vocabulary limited to values in a column, with other column
values used for lookup

If this is the sort of thing you're getting at, just ignore this :-) I
admittedly didn't read as carefully as I should have.

  -- Garrett