[Zope3-dev] RE: annotations/dc and component definitions

Garrett Smith garrett@mojave-corp.com
Tue, 29 Apr 2003 12:22:52 -0500

R. David Murray wrote:
> Subject: Re: annotations/dc and component definitions
>=20
> There's nothing an object actually has to *do* to implement this
> Interface other than promise not to step on the attribute
> '__annotations__'.  So pretty much any python object can
> say that it implements this Interface (or we can say it
> on behalf of some code that we've imported from third
> party and don't want to modify....).

Yep, I think this is clear enough.
=20
> So, hopefully it is no longer a surprise that implementing
> IAttributeAnnotatable enables metadata.  Now, where should
> this be documented?  Any thoughts on where you would have
> expected to find it explained?

I still think it's a suprise -- a different interface name might help,
one that implied metadata. But I don't really think it's a big enough
deal to worry about.

But you can understand my use of term "annotations/dc" in the subject,
yes?

>> Btw, I don't mean collision in a literal/namespace-conflict sense,
>> but in the sense of owndership. In some cases, I can see a component
>> wanting to implement 'title' as a property. In another case, 'title'
>> might be something that a user attaches to a component.
>=20
> Yes, that is the problem that needs to be solved in a well defined
> and easy to implement fashion.  Thanks for tackling it <grin>.

Well, I'll try my best anyway :-)

  -- Garrett