Object Relationships (was Re: [Zope3-dev] zwiki: performance of findChildren())

Shane Hathaway shane@zope.com
Wed, 30 Apr 2003 11:19:38 -0400

Chris Withers wrote:
> Shane Hathaway wrote:
>

>> I'm looking for a transparent way to execute arbitrary queries in Ape.
>> The difficult part is providing an interface that a "dumb" ZODB
>> storage (like FileStorage) can implement.  I want very much to retain
>> the ability to run an application on either FileStorage or Ape/SQL,
>> even if the FileStorage version has to spelunk the entire database to
>> answer queries.
>

> What about the 'query' method we discussed back in February?

I have since realized I wasn't willing to maintain an interface that
ZODB was unable to implement.  If there's a query() method that only
works when you're attached to a relational database, Ape could shift its
mission from being a data storage impedance matcher to merely another
object-relational mapping framework.  I think the difference is important.

We've continued the discussion on relationships in zope-dev.  I'm hoping
we can come up with something that works well with Zope 3, standalone
ZODB applications, and Ape.

Shane