Object Relationships (was Re: [Zope3-dev] zwiki: performanceof findChildren())

Shane Hathaway shane@zope.com
Wed, 30 Apr 2003 13:20:57 -0400

Chris Withers wrote:
> Shane Hathaway wrote:
>

>> I have since realized I wasn't willing to maintain an interface that
>> ZODB was unable to implement.
>

> Not sure what you mean by "an interface that ZODB was unable to
> implement", can you explain?

FileStorage-backed ZODB can't implement a general query() method.

> The query method was, for me, a way to get access to the power of your
> underlying storage. So, relational queries with a relational database,
> grep and friends on a file system, etc...

query() might be added later, but before we do that I want to explore
other options.

> How will that need be taken care of now?

Set your time machine to a little in the future, visit zope-dev, and
read the thread on relation[ship]s.  There might be a proposal out.
Maybe even a rough implementation.  Then come back and tell me all about
it, because I'd like to know how it will work too. ;-)  Right now all we
have is vague ideas.

Shane