[Zope3-dev] TTW Indexes

Gary Poster gary@modernsongs.com
Sun, 03 Aug 2003 02:12:38 -0400

Andreas Jung wrote:

> --On Sonntag, 3. August 2003 15:43 Uhr +1000 Anthony Baxter
> <anthony@interlink.com.au> wrote:
>

>> Currently, there's a FieldIndex and TextIndex that are addable via the
>> web
>> directly (not inside a Catalog). From looking at the code, it _seems_
>> like
>> this was done because Catalog didn't exist yet. Is there any benefit to
>> keeping them?
>

> Don't think so.

Actually the idea was that "catalogs" would really be query engines that
used free-floating indexes configured for them.  A typical sort of query
engine would also be an event subscribable, filtering events from the
event service, only emitting those having to do with objects for which
the query engine was responsible.  Member indexes would subscribe to
this query engine for their events.  Again, this would be typical, but
other configurations and query configurations would be possible..

I don't think Jim nor the new catalog (not having looked at it yet :-)
share that approach, though, and you actually have a catalog (as opposed
to those of us who planned to have a catalog), so I won't personally
wave my hands about too much.  If you don't *need* to remove the
stand-alone nature of the indexes, then why bother?   But that's all
I'll have to say.  :-)

Gary