[Zope3-dev] TTW Indexes

Sun, 03 Aug 2003 23:05:27 +1000

>>> Gary Poster wrote
> Actually the idea was that "catalogs" would really be query engines that
> used free-floating indexes configured for them.  A typical sort of query
> engine would also be an event subscribable, filtering events from the
> event service, only emitting those having to do with objects for which
> the query engine was responsible.  Member indexes would subscribe to
> this query engine for their events.  Again, this would be typical, but
> other configurations and query configurations would be possible..

I'm really struggling to think of a use case for this, though. At the moment
the Catalog gets events and passes them to it's indices. Is there something
that a more open (read: harder to understand and use :) structure to this
stuff would allow you that the current system doesn't?

> I don't think Jim nor the new catalog (not having looked at it yet :-)
> share that approach, though, and you actually have a catalog (as opposed
> to those of us who planned to have a catalog), so I won't personally
> wave my hands about too much.  If you don't *need* to remove the
> stand-alone nature of the indexes, then why bother?   But that's all
> I'll have to say.  :-)

I want to do a reasonably large refactoring of the Indexes - there's
4 types now (more if you include the case-insensitive varieties) and
they've all got slightly different interfaces for searching and indexing
objects. If I don't have to worry about the free-floating index objects,
then it's less work.

I'm also really not convinced that a free-floating index is particularly
useful.

Anthony