[Zope3-dev] Context and Component Lookup

Steve Alexander steve at z3u.com
Thu Aug 7 20:26:18 EDT 2003

> There is no formal way to document this in either Zope or PEAK at
> present; it's just "documentation".  In PEAK, though, components have
> explicit "out-bindings" like the pins of a chip, so you can usually
> browse these in the source without reading method bodies to see what
> lookups are occurring.  (Which is probably why I didn't think about it
> explicitly in this discussion.)  Perhaps a similar approach would be
> useful in Zope, or perhaps some type of "component requirements schema"
> object, if that's more fitting of Zope's overall style.

I'm *particularly* keen on something like this.

Many researchers in CBSE would claim that Zope 3's CA is not really a
"component" architecture because an important aspect of something being
a component is that you can inspect its interfaces and its dependencies.

You should be able to infer from inspecting a component and looking at
the system whether a component's dependences are met.

With this, and a bunch of work ;-), we'll be able to make a Parts Shop:

   http://smile.jcon.org/soft/ba/gen2/KeyLittleVisions.html#PartShop

   http://www.abl.com/opt/uhr/

--
Steve Alexander