[Zope3-dev] Where's the API?

Chris Gray cpgray at library.uwaterloo.ca
Fri Aug 8 16:32:35 EDT 2003

I brought this up on zope-dev a while back and Fred Drake suggested I move
it over here.

I've done some playing around with Zope3 (latest from CVS) and I find the
equivalent of the Zope2 API very sparse.  I mean in particular the methods
and attributes of content objects that are exposed to the TAL and DTML. As
far as I can tell I can't directly grab a page's name, title, size,
modification time, object type, url, or metadata.  The only attribute I
can seem to get is content_type.

The folder interface seems to be a bit richer, and I can get a list of
contents.  From there I've been able to do some of the dynamic things I
would like to do, but it seems very round-about and limited.

Either I'm missing something, or this is an aspect of Zope3 that is
incomplete.  If it is incomplete, is there any design documentation or
discussion covering what will be available to templating languages?

Chris