Location-related events (was Re: [Zope3-dev] Using parent references rather than context wrappers to represent containment)

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Wed Aug 13 11:58:40 EDT 2003

Martijn Faassen wrote:
> Jim Fulton wrote:

>>    2. Move responsability for generating modification events for
>>       containers back to application code.
>

> Could you describe your motivation for this choice? I'm curious, as it seems
> to shift a lot of responsibility to the framework user.

In the updated proposal in the wiki, I moved the responsibility for generating
modification (object added and deleted, and container modified) into IContainer,
but, thinking about the object hub reminded me how little we understand which events
we need to generate under what circomstances. This worries me.

I worked up a preproposal on location-related events at:

   http://dev.zope.org/Zope3/LocationRelatedEvents

I've conviced, based on this preliminary analysis, that containers cannot be
responsible for generating location-change events.

CTO                  (703) 361-1714            http://www.python.org