[Zope3-dev] Re: i18n domains vs. unique message ids -OR- why Shakespearean English was better

Philipp von Weitershausen philipp at weitershausen.de
Mon Aug 18 10:25:45 EDT 2003

Godefroid Chapelle wrote:
> Philipp von Weitershausen wrote:
>
>>    We would therefore have to provide an English translation to Zope3 as
>>    well, containg at least translation for these kinds of message ids.
>
> I think we cannot force english users to use the i18n machinery as most
> of them have not touched it ;-)

Someone who writes i18n-aware software need to use the i18n machinery. I
think we have good reason forcing Zope3 core developers to use it, even
if it only means import ZopeMessageIDFactory as _.

> Did you see the default argument to the constructor ;-) ?

I did, but guess what, the MessageIDFactory class doesn't support a
'default' argument in __call__, and ZopeMessageIDFactory is what we
currently use in Zope all over the place::

class MessageIDFactory:
     """Factory for creating MessageIDs."""

     def __init__(self, domain):
         self._domain = domain

     def __call__(self, ustr):
         return MessageID(ustr, domain=self._domain)

Now, it wouldn't be a struggle to add a 'default' argument to __call__,
but that was really not the point of my email. I know, for example, that
Stephan feels strongly about using different domains, so I wanted to
discuss this openly before it's too late and we're stuck with an
ambigious Zope3 UI.

Philipp