[Zope3-dev] New Zope 3 Proposals online

Shane Hathaway shane at zope.com
Fri Aug 29 18:11:59 EDT 2003

Phillip J. Eby wrote:
> At 02:41 PM 8/29/03 -0400, Stephan Richter wrote:
>
>> - http://dev.zope.org/Zope3/InterfaceTypes
>>
>>   Explains the goals of interface types, which allows us to specify
>> content
>>   types.
>

> I understood this one for the most part, except where it says "Another
> goal is to convert all global interfaces to utilities", which just
> baffles me.  What does that mean?  It sounds like some context was left
> out.

When Stephan and Jim talked with me about it, I understood that they
wanted to use utility services as interface registries.  They were
pretty excited about it and promised to explain it better later.
Unfortunately, now that I've read about it, I still don't understand why
it makes sense to call an interface a utility.

In my mind, a utility does something, while an interface does nothing.
While both utilities and interfaces might be squeezed into the same
registry, the two concepts are entirely distinct.

Shane