[Zope3-dev] policy for zope 3 community projects

Martijn Faassen faassen at infrae.com
Sat Dec 6 08:52:13 EST 2003

Hi there,

I've started a zope 3 extension project to develop a package called
'zopexml'. The project name is also zopexml, so that's a top level
project prefix.

zopexml contains modules and packages relevant to using XML in Zope 3.

I won't check this into zopeproducts, as it's going to go away. It
also can't be in zope.products, as I can't expect that this is somehow
Zope3 blessed code that will be updated whenever Zope 3 changes. Also
I think that's the wrong hierarchy; I want to import from zopexml,
not zope.products.zopexml or something like that.

For the time being, I'm checking it into the Infrae CVS. This doesn't make
much sense either as it's not a very visible location as Stephan Richter
mentioned. It would be nice if it could be in the cvs.zope.org repository,
possibly in something similar to Products for Zope 2, like z3packages or
whatever. Note that this itself *wouldn't* be a Python package though, just a
top level directory you can add to your PYTHONPATH and which contains Python
packages (like zopexml). So, no __init__.py in z3packages.

It's however unclear what ZC's policy on this is/should be. Perhaps we
should work on some community repository similar in nature to what
I understand the Plone collective to be? Who would host this, though?

Regards,

Martijn