[Zope3-dev] Re: Content space persistent modules

Leonardo Rochael Almeida leo at hiper.com.br
Tue Dec 9 14:28:01 EST 2003

Em Tue, 09 Dec 2003 14:10:12 -0200, Sidnei da Silva escreveu:

> Oh, btw, as far as I remember, those live in 'site-manager-space'
> instead of content space, but that shouldn't be an issue.

I think that was exactly the issue. Scripters, as was discussed in the
thread, weren't supposed to (or didn't want to) touch
*site-manager-space*. Besides, for me this smells like the rift that
existed between "External Methods" and DTML before PythonScripts came
along. It just is something that you have to put *way over there* just to
keep code out of the templates.

Think of CMF. If I have some display logic that is used in a single
template in a corner of the site, the best place to put it is in a
PythonScript in the same folder that uses it. Later on, if I start using
this same code in other templates, I can pull this script up in the
hierarchy to be more easily reachable thru acquisition. If I then decide
that I'm using that piece of code everywhere, it goes into a skin folder,
maybe even in a DirectoryView so as to keep it in CVS somewhere.

I think this is a nice parallel of how scripter code should evolve into
developer code in Zope3 (minus the "up the acquisition hierarchy" step).
Code starts as content space module, then becomes software space persitent
module, etc.

Cheers, Leo

--
Ideas don't stay in some minds very long because they don't like
solitary confinement.