[Zope3-dev] RFP: menu item ordering

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Fri Dec 12 07:54:08 EST 2003

Steve Alexander wrote:

 >> I have a feeling that there should be a way to provide greater control
 >> over
 >> item ordering.  I haven't thought of a good way of doing this.
 >>
 >> I think that the thing that makes it hard is the distributed
 >> definition of
 >> menu items.
 >>
 >> In addition, I suspect it would be best to be able to specify the
 >> ordering
 >> independent of the item definition. Of course, that makes it even harder.
 >>
 >> Does anyone have any ideas?
 >

 > This has been discussed on this list before.
 >
 > See the discussion "menu item ordering" around 24 April 2003.
 >
 >   http://mail.zope.org/pipermail/zope3-dev/2003-April/thread.html#6697

Ah great. Thanks.

 > I suggested a complex scheme with an optional simplification.
 >
 >   http://mail.zope.org/pipermail/zope3-dev/2003-April/006701.html

I think I like this scheme. It would be nice to see it worked out. I think
this is similar to the "catagories" idea mentioned earlier in the
thread.

 > Guido make a strong and succinct argument in favour of the simpler
 > version. (Although, it isn't clear that he endorsed either scheme.)
 >
 >   http://mail.zope.org/pipermail/zope3-dev/2003-April/006702.html

The basic idea is that we define one tab/view that always appears
first and that is thus the page you see when you first visit an
object in the contents view.

One problem with this is that the first view may be different for
different users.  The tabs that are visible depend on the permissions
that a user has.  This is actually what makes ordering of the tabs
somewhat important.

On a related note, there was some concern about the number of tabs.
I agree that we should keep the number of tabs to a minimum.
A tab should provide a way of looking at an object. It should display
an object from some perspective. It should *not* display something
that you can do with the object. For example, "Undo" should not
have been a tab (in Z2), but then the Z2 ZMI doesn't provide a menu
for things to do (actions).