[Zope3-dev] Zope 3 Developers Cookbook [progress update]

corey_s at cox.net corey_s at cox.net
Sun Dec 14 10:17:52 EST 2003

On Sun, Dec 14, 2003 at 04:48:27PM -0500, Stephan Richter wrote:
> On Sunday 14 December 2003 08:44, corey_s at cox.net wrote:
> > Anyone else think a tarball of the cookbook, for convenient offline
> > reading, would be useful to folks? Preferably something that gets updated
> > whenever the online version does.
>
> Yes, this is another strong argument for moving to another source form of the
> cookbook. While I have all recipes locally in STX files, they are unusable,
> since they are not linked together as a book. Having LaTeX sources would make
> this an easy task, since all I would need to do is to regularly compile the
> book (which takes less than 10 seconds). The resulting PDF would come with a
> real table of contents and an index. Very handy.

  Cool.

> > If I can be of any help, I'd happily volunteer assisting or taking
> > responsibility.
>
> Thanks. If we would decide to go forward and convert the book to LaTeX, then I
> would need some help with the latex2stx converter. Would you be willing to
> help with this task?

  Absolutely.

  However it must be known that I'm very new to python, and have no experience
  with latex or stx ( though I'm familiar with their purpose ). I do have quite
  a bit of professional experience with perl, and perl w/ xml, text processing,
  oop, etc - so, I'm guessing, I could get myself up to speed fairly quickly
  in using python for a latex/stx conversion. I'm very willing and able to help
  but I certainly wouldn't want to be a detriment if there were someone more
  capable to do the same work -- just a heads up.

  ( I'll be converting an existing, fairly complex, perl/xml application of mine
    to python/zope3 - it's through this effort that will be my primary focus and
    motivation in cutting my teeth on zope3. So I'll definitely be getting more
    and more involved in the coming weeks, being able to give back in any way is
    a serious motivator for me. )

Cheers,

Corey

... who's got alot of time on his hands for the next month or so.