[Zope3-dev] recent changes to adding UI

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Sat Dec 20 08:03:40 EST 2003

Garrett Smith wrote:
> There have been a number of recent changes to the container adding UI:
>
>  zope/app/browser/container/add.pt
>  zope/app/browser/container/adding.py

These were based on the rather old proposal:

   http://dev.zope.org/Zope3/SimplifyImplementingContainers

> I'd like to firm up the API for this 'adding' facility so that it can
> reliably be reused without unexpected breakage. So:
>
> - A well defined interface suitable for a range of uses

I think that this exists in IAdding.

> - Unit tests that lock down the functionality

Done.

> Here are some basics that we need:
>
> - Override the title for the form

Which form are you talking about?

> - Override the add button caption

Why?

> - Specify whether or not the name text field is used

The presence of the name text field is determined by whether
the container is responsible for picking names, as described
in:

   http://dev.zope.org/Zope3/SimplifyImplementingContainers

> - Override the 'action' URL in the form

Why?

> I'd very much like community feedback here. Is anyone doing anything
> like this? Are there other reusabilty features needed?

I'm not sure what problems you are trying to solve with these suggestions.