[Zope3-dev] Api reference & newbie tasks

Stephan Richter srichter at cosmos.phy.tufts.edu
Fri Dec 26 17:27:26 EST 2003

On Saturday 13 December 2003 14:23, Iwan van der Kleyn wrote:
> Browsing through the available documenation I've been looking for an API
> reference, but couldn't find one.

Right, there are no API docs at this stage. We did not have time yet to write
an API-doc generation tool.

> So I decided to run Epydoc on the CVS
> source. I noticed that inline documentation of the source is, well,
> rather sparse.  Are there any initiatives to correct this? And epydoc
> fails to include interfaces in the generated documentation. Anyone got a
> fix for this? Otherwise I'll will pick it up and try to locate and fix
> the problem.

Well, all API documentation really lies in the interfaces. We often do not
document implementations, since you get hung up on unimportant details. The
second very important part of an API reference is the ZCML reference, since
it glues the components together and tells you how things work.

> PS:
> What would be the most usefull thing for a newbie to do to help?
> Documentation, bug fixing? The "HowToContribute"  topic on zope.org is
> rather vague about actual tasks to be performed and how tp contact the
> relevant powers-that-be

Whatever you would like most to do. Writing an API reference generation tool
would be a cool start. Throw some ideas to the mailing list and we will give
you feedback.

Regards,
Stephan

--