[Zope3-dev] Simplifying Zope 3 and creating a foundation for the future

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Sat Dec 27 09:02:42 EST 2003

Stephan Richter wrote:
> On Tuesday 23 December 2003 11:16, Jim Fulton wrote:

> Jim, what's the current status? Are we on track with the end of the geddons?
> What's left?

Well, there's still work to be done on the component architecture simplification:

- Getting rid of uneeded services

- Reimplimenting the utility service based on the new design of the
   adapter and presentation services.  This also includes some small
   refinement of adapter management to make finding all named for an
   adapter quicker.

- Solving a lingering issue with persistent interfaces :(

In addition, I'm aware of the following significant refactoring tasks:

- Redo object hub

- Redo the event service. It needs to be updated to reflect parentgeddon.
   There are also some open security issued. I suspect that the event service is
   more compicated than it needs to be.  I expect to see a proposal for
   this within the next week or two.

- Redo the browser menu service.  I'm working on a proposal for
   a new approach to managing browser menus by treating menu items
   as adapters.

- Refactor the Zope security policy to:

   o Make it clearer how one would plug in alternative policies

   o Provide a more centralized implementation to provide better
     performance and auditing.

- Refactory the site-management registration system to use direct object